Releasing Level One (C64)

We’ve reached the end game for 2018’s Intro Creation Competition so there’s been an inrush of new releases over the last couple of days including one last contribution from yours truly with the ever patient Andy Vaisey on music. It went through a few names but Level One was the final choice simply because it looks somewhat like a game.

The scrolling area takes up the entire regular screen – 39 visible characters across by 25 down – and is being moved using a double buffered scroll routine similar to the ones employed by games which in turn leans on some Run-Length Encoded background data. It also uses the C64’s Extended Colour Mode so, although there are only 64 characters available in the font, it can have four possible background colours for each character so I don’t have to scroll the colour RAM.

Something a little trickier is happening in the black bands above and below the scrolling; these are ten pixels high and sat in the borders, but containing a seven character wide Cosine logo and nineteen characters of either static text or scrolling message. To get twenty six characters into that space the code has to abuse the ghostbyte, splitting it at five points on each scanline to produce the extra two characters (they’re at the far left and right of the screen on both lines) and mask off the raster bars for the areas between the sprites.

I suspect a few people will be asking themselves if a game with similar graphics would be possible and the answer is a sort-of-yes, although drawing decent backgrounds when restricted to just 64 characters is bloody tricky!

Workprint – January 2019

So we’ve started a new year but I still have a little unfinished business with the Intro Creation Competition that, since the competition’s deadline looms this coming Sunday, should appear in the appropriate places by the weekend if all goes well. I adore the ICC for giving me a deadline to code to and spawning so many cool intros each time but, since each coder only gets three “slots”, that leaves me with quite a few spare effect ideas, logos and indeed half completed intros knocking about by the end to the point where I’m probably good for the next two iterations.

Now, since it’s sort of becoming “traditional” here’s my new year’s resolution for 2019 – it’s the same as last year, 320 by 200 pixels.

There’s an extremely good chance that I’ve been subconsciously attempting to wear that “joke” out over the years. At the start of 2018 I ported the C64’s power up screen to bitmap ready to draw in a logo but, when I ran out of time, just pushed the unedited conversion out on social media as a PNG. This time the image has gained that planned logo so, if things progress at this terrifyingly fast rate, I might have a complete intro by 2021 or perhaps 2022 if there’s a sprite effect of some kind.

Watching Snata (C64)

Released in 2002, Snata was an entry into the Christmas Demo Competition and not in the slightest bit cynical or sarcastic. Well, okay it was because the “inspiration” was a SuperCPU-specific demo called Coca Cola Santa Claus – the original seems to be lost to the mists of time – which used the 65816 to brute force a full screen width FLI image out of the VIC-II… and then displayed one of the worst-looking wired pictures I’ve ever seen! So on a particularly dreary winter evening I was making a nuisance of myself on IRC and ended up in a little “competition” with Groepaz where we amused ourselves by taking said image and trying but failing to produce something similarly terrible by throwing it through whatever converters we had to hand.

A year or so before this evening of entertainment happened I’d noticed in passing that the tunes from Zeppelin’s Amiga game Santa’s Xmas Caper were all written in the same general, annoyingly jolly style so, pretty much on a whim that I was probably at a loss to explain even then, I spent an evening unceremoniously mangling them into a single piece with Goattracker. So now I had a piece of music and a fairly reasonable wired picture, so all that was needed for a Christmas competition entry was a little code to glue it together and that was actually donated by a previous release.

But once that had been congealed I had a moment of what we’ll have to call “inspiration”; since the picture had been based on a demo which required a hardware expansion to run it seemed sort of appropriate to add a similar but in this case optional overhead to mine and I already had just the thing lying around, a routine which leant on a RAM expansion to produce an effect similar to the FLI-based one in Charlatan – appropriate considering Coca Cola Santa Claus – but in the borders rather than on screen.

The routine uses the REU’s DMA to transfer colour data back and forth between the base 64K and expansion RAM, moving everything around at an impressively fast one byte per cycle. There are two shifts of the colour data during the screen to update it but the important part happens during the upper and lower borders where transfers are triggered with the destination set to $D020 and the DMA told not to update that address with each write; the result is that the border colour register is updated once per cycle with around 48 being visible but 63 writes actually taking place since there’s that many cycles per scanline.

Of course, the competition was just for fun and meant to be just standard C64 code so the colour bars were only there as a hidden bonus, but hey ho ho ho…