Workprint – May 2018

Yes, I’m a little late with the workprint this month but in my defence there have been things going on; I spent a significant chunk of the weekend in an unexpectedly large van with my stepson Matthew and stepson-in-law Josh, heading to Kent for an overnight stay in order to relocate boxes of old computers and software which have been sat in my dad’s garage for… oh, about sixteen years. Here’s what it looked like after we put everything into the van…

…and no, the large Rupert having a lie down on top of everything wasn’t originally mine but has been adopted anyway. I’ve found myself left with a lot to process – both in the literal sense and emotionally, the latter probably being the harder to deal with – but it’s done and everything is in one place now, although I haven’t had a chance to do any serious ferreting around just yet. I did get a family photo before we left for home by the way, so it wasn’t just pictures of storage boxes!

In programming news there hasn’t been much time of late (or more accurately, the problems I’m having with my shoulder means that sitting in front of a computer for extended periods is at best uncomfortable) but the previously mentioned C64CD project is pretty much done with just little extra polish and some “how it works” style articles required before release – there’s an all-formats retro game development competition I like the look of which might serve as a place to put it out, although I’ll need to check their rules properly beforehand since it’s using some wired graphics – and I’ve been doodling a little here and there when spare moments present themselves.

Workprint – April 2018

I haven’t had a lot of time for programming recently so there’s not much to talk about today – the workprint posts are moving to Tuesdays in case I forgot to mention that – but one thing I’ve been doing which is sort of related is a spot of digital archaeology, working through a pile of older hard disks in what turned out to be a surprisingly fruitful attempt to locate a few bits and pieces which have gone astray over successive machine rebuilds. One of the things I found is this…

…which was originally drawn on my old Amiga 1200 ‘030 with Deluxe Paint 4 over a decade ago which doesn’t make me feel old in the slightest of course. The intention was to release a small demo written in Blitz 2D with all of the effects running on the monitor’s screen, but I didn’t get much of that code written. What I’m thinking of doing is reworking the background, expanding the image to 16:9 ratio and using it as the basis for a video thumbnail for YouTube because I reckon that’d look nice.

A lot of other interesting files have been found including a couple that I needed for a future blog post and some game graphics which might have to be rolled into a little potential project I was messing around with earlier this evening whilst procrastinating… I’m not sure if what I’m trying to do is actually viable right now so the whole thing might not be going anywhere and I’ll therefore remain annoyingly cryptic about it for the foreseeable future.