Yes, I’m a little late with the workprint this month but in my defence there have been things going on; I spent a significant chunk of the weekend in an unexpectedly large van with my stepson Matthew and stepson-in-law Josh, heading to Kent for an overnight stay in order to relocate boxes of old computers and software which have been sat in my dad’s garage for… oh, about sixteen years. Here’s what it looked like after we put everything into the van…
…and no, the large Rupert having a lie down on top of everything wasn’t originally mine but has been adopted anyway. I’ve found myself left with a lot to process – both in the literal sense and emotionally, the latter probably being the harder to deal with – but it’s done and everything is in one place now, although I haven’t had a chance to do any serious ferreting around just yet. I did get a family photo before we left for home by the way, so it wasn’t just pictures of storage boxes!
In programming news there hasn’t been much time of late (or more accurately, the problems I’m having with my shoulder means that sitting in front of a computer for extended periods is at best uncomfortable) but the previously mentioned C64CD project is pretty much done with just little extra polish and some “how it works” style articles required before release – there’s an all-formats retro game development competition I like the look of which might serve as a place to put it out, although I’ll need to check their rules properly beforehand since it’s using some wired graphics – and I’ve been doodling a little here and there when spare moments present themselves.
There’s no theme to MD201705 so I can’t mumble about that for this post, but it does rework an effect I did previously in the demo Mish Mash, covering a larger area of the screen and updating the colour RAM this time as well as adding some more cosine curves for good measure.
It’s available to download fromtheusualsuspects and the source code is available from Github too. There’s no YouTube video at the time of writing but I’m in the process of rethinking how to do those for better results.
I’m completely messed up this month due to the web server spluttering and screwing its boot drive’s file system (did I lose a workprint from last month or just forget…?) and going through the final preparations for getting married in a week’s time so the workprint is rather late! And yes, I’m lightly terrified about getting hitched, the lack of throughput on this ‘ere blog should indicate that I’m not particularly comfortable with being in the limelight!
The post about the April instalment in the release was lost so I might as well bundle it in here so there’s a pretty screenshot to look at! MD201704 was for the Commodore 128 and used 2MHz mode in the upper and lower borders to get sixteen pixel wide colour splits. The inspiration came from seeing Rabenauge’s Elvis Copper on the Revision 2017 Twitch stream and wondering why the colour splits on their demo were so wide with only two distinct colours per scanline. Since I’d been playing with a four cycle wide splitter with three colour values and 2MHz enabled on the C128 anyway, that code was brought forward and overhauled to install the plotter and scroller.
Speaking of Revision, have a look at Ninja Dev’s What Are You Syncing About? because it’s a lovely piece of work – there’s no chance of any machine at Chez Roundabout running it without the result being more a slideshow than a demo, but that link goes to the YouTube video I’ve been trying to wear out.
Finally, the workprint itself and, as noted, spare time is a little more scarce this month but I’ve managed to get MD201705 on the C64 mostly written with just a couple of cosmetic features and the scroll text left on my “to do” list. Basically it’s a reworking of something I’ve done previously with a few extra tweaks and a little more colour, but I’m quite pleased with the results and it should turn up at some point either next week or possibly the week after depending on what I’ll amuse myself by calling “my schedule”.