Workprint – December 2018

Time for another workprint and I’m afraid this one is pretty much going to be a case of me saying “watch this space” in various different ways because, whilst there are things ongoing for amongst other things the CSDb Intro Creation Competition, I’m keeping the entire deck of cards close to my chest for the moment to allow for random rewrites or complete changes of project priority. There are at least two more intros being prodded at right now and one uses an FLD routine, but that’s about as specific as I’m willing to get for the moment.

But one of the sillier ideas I came up with a few weeks back but ultimately decided not to pursue – one of the down sides to the CSDb ICC is that you can only enter three intros, I usually have twice as many ideas – was by total coincidence realised by ROLE a few days back, although my version was going to be a bit more involved technically, pushing into the side borders and stretching the sprite. Perhaps I’ll do my interpretation and release it alongside the competition if I can find some free time?

There’s going to be a couple of releases on t’other label now that December is under way; it’s game code that’s been loitering around my hard disks for an age that was essentially put aside but not quite forgotten entirely when I switched to “demo mode”. You could consider those to be a “festive season bonus” but, since I dislike said annual event with a passion and am nowhere near organised enough to arrange something like that anyway, it’s really just me “clearing the decks.

This isn’t a blog post

Well… okay it is a blog post but not the “scheduled programming” as it were, in part because I’ve actually been doing some programming; next weekend is the X party and, as mentioned previously, I’m sort of aiming to get something completed for release there. My original plans have been put on the back burner in part due to illness – it’s “traditional” for me to have at least a cold around this time of year and the current one is somehow a couple of weeks old already – and the linking for that project being rather involved, but other things have taken up my free time of late as well. Fingers crossed my “plan B” will properly take shape in the week off I have coming up and leave me a little time to spare before it needs to be sent over to the competition.

The ongoing coding also goes some way towards explaining why there’s half a dozen C64s in the front room – the two C64GS consoles are, coincidentally, there for testing something else entirely – because, although I’m not going to be doing anything technically groundbreaking, there are some timing-specific routines that I want to be absolutely sure run on real hardware. That includes the one which started out as me thinking about the largely mistaken ideas I had as a fevered youth in the 1980s for doing raster bars and pondering if said method could be “persuaded” to work properly… it can with only a few caveats which quite frankly surprised the hell out of me, so I want to include it even if nobody’ll notice what’s happening unless I make a point of explaining!

Workprint – October 2018

I joked in the scroller for Demo Factory 2018 last week about my X entry ending up as just a couple of parts with loads of effect presets to pad it out, but the party is only a month away now and progress on my demo really hasn’t really been… well, progressing. Part of the problem is my damned shoulder, it’s been “frozen” since the end of 2017 so, whilst working at a computer isn’t an issue in the short term, the longer sessions required for larger projects are proving problematic, leaving me in need of painkillers. I’ll have to see how things go over the next week or so and, if it’s not going anywhere fast, perhaps consider a “plan B”.

In slightly happier news I have a new toy which is pictured above. It’s a Pi1541 and is essentially a Raspberry Pi model 3B+ wearing a magical hat that, with the right software installed, makes it pretend to be a Commodore 1541 floppy drive including emulating the electronics. I haven’t had much time to test things since the hat only arrived in the post this afternoon from Australia, but the Pi’s micro SD card has been set up and I’ve tried loading a couple of demos on the C64; from what I’ve seen so far at least, it knocks the SD2IEC into a cocked hat despite being not much more expensive. It’s intended for use on my VIC 20 but I’ve been keeping an eye out for a C16 or Plus/4 although that search hasn’t been particularly fruitful, one of the latter arrived a few weeks ago but won’t even power up so is going back – which will be able to utilise it as well.

Finally, something interesting which made me happy as it floated past in my Twitter feed this morning was a YouTube video posted by Adrian Black about the C64C he was given which had spent a decade braving the elements of Oregon to the point where a colony of ants had moved in. The video itself is a heartwarming tale of a little 8-bit that could but one thing that made me smile was Adrian’s demo of choice for testing the machine was SIDBurners 7; only the Nostalgia intro appears in his video but the main menu code on that one was mine!