I recently opened a shiny new YouTube channel – or more accurately, started using the one that they insisted I have in my own name back when Google+ was a thing – with the first video being footage for the post about Chronos last Saturday; the rest of the weekend has been spent getting my head around Vegas Pro and, after a little messing around, the channel now has a dozen videos available which have been added to the relevant posts in the playing” category here.
It isn’t quite spring yet, but the “cleaning” has already started because most of the tidying up of this blog that was started at the end of 2017 is now done; screenshots and videos are now resized to match the WordPress template more closely and a couple of broken links were tidied up along the way. I still have over fifteen posts where the screenshots need to be scaled up for the new formatting to work properly, but those will hopefully be taken care of in the next couple of days.
So… am I the only person around who seems to end up with a pile of old hard drives without being sure what’s actually on them? There’s a large pile of 80Gb drives in the front room right now and, whilst I know roughly which machine they came from, I honestly have no idea what’s on any of them right now!
The “new” workhorse PC still needs a couple more drives before I can call it complete so there’ll be some rooting around in search of space going on at some point soon… yesterday I found a friend’s missing source code from a couple of decades ago, who knows what else’ll turn up!
So the last week has seen a spot of spring cleaning, both physical and virtual with the latter not quite being complete. On the physical front, the pokey little space I refer to with almost no irony as my office has been radically tidied (the bin has even been emptied, some of the stuff near the bottom had been festering there so long it was close to sentience) and some of those little jobs that have been pending for ages like untangling the cables for various desktops and consoles from each other has taken place.
There’s also been some relatively major tidying up of the front room, the down side to which is that, along with the expected but nondescript nagging sense that I’ve misplaced something important, I have actually managed to lose one of my old Compaq Evo laptops; it was the almost blank one that was being used to develop Edge Grinder (the machine was deliberately empty to avoid the temptation of switching to an assembler) so it’ll need locating since the most recent revisions of the program code haven’t been backed up to any other boxes!
On the virtual front, my (t)rusty work machine Ikaruga (named after a shoot ’em up of course, just like every box on our network) finally managed to grind down her 400 watt power supply and needed surgery – since she was already on the table, I took the opportunity to install a larger hard disk, reconnect the multi card reader properly, remove the lightly toasted Soundblaster Live card (a replacement will be sought on eBay at some point, hopefully along with an old GeForce 4 MX440 for the low specification testing machine since it needs rebuilding too) and do a clean install of Windows XP. In some respects I like working on a fresh machine because it’s so much more responsive, but that’s probably because I hate the actual transition and tend to leave things to the point where the delay before a program opens can be measured in geological time – but the slog of getting everything back to being “just so” is arduous to say the least, which is why it usually gets held off until there’s no other option…
If this urge to tidy stuff continues (it’s possible albeit rather unlikely) I’ll be revamping the WordPress templates for Bullet Mechanics and Illogistix too, although the latter will require access to my stock image collection which is on a 40Gb drive that isn’t in this box right now!